A whale, possibly entangled in the line from a crab pot, is struggling in the surf near Florence, OR. Officials believe it is a Sei whale measuring between 40-50 feet.
Stay tuned for updates on this developing story….
Update: Watch video from KVAL in Eugene, OR.
- As of Saturday morning, the whale’s whereabouts are unknown.
- Read the Coast Guard news release regarding the whale.
- Watch Coast Guard video of the whale taken Friday, 6-March-2009.
See “Fin whale perishes on Oregon Coast” for additional updates on this story.
- Officials Fear Whale Near Florence Tried to Reach the Beach – Salem-News.com
- Would-Be Beached Whale Appears to Be OK – KTVL
- Coast Guard whale watching – Register-Guard
- Whale appears to be in a life or death struggle, it’ll be touch and go – KVAL
- Whale update : “Blood was coming up with the animal’s body” – KVAL
- Coast Guard keeping tabs on injured whale – Register-Guard
- Coast Guard News Release (includes link to video) – U.S. Coast Guard
- Troubled whale disappears from coast but is it still alive? – KVAL